CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 1, 2009

It-Lee!



So, this past month we went on vacation.
Mom and Dad (and my friend from college, Patty) came to visit. (Patty was only able to visit for 2 days before going to meet up with some other friends in Germany.)
We visited the area before heading off to Garmisch for Easter weekend. The weather was great and we were able to do some hiking around the lake while soaking in the beautiful Alps. There were LOTS of frogs in the lake and I actually caught one and decided to see if he was a prince- he wasn't (but since I'm married to my Prince, that's okay.)
We headed south through Austria and into... It-Lee (my dad is from the mid-west and can never say the "a" in Italy so it sounds more like It-lee. )
Then it was off to Venice and glass shopping on the Island of Murano (where all the glass is made). Then we went to wade and collect shells at the Adriatic Ocean. After that we went to San Marino (a cute little country, land locked in Italy, with its castle built on a cliff.)
Our next stop was Rome and Vatican City where the sun was at its best and we all got a little red. We ate at Hard Rock (yes, we are typical tourists it seems.)
Our second week we stayed at Camp Darby near Pisa and used that as a base to visit: Pisa, Cararra (where all that marble comes from), Florence, Siena, the beach area nearby, Lucca and Cinque Terre. The last being the most gorgeous 5 path-linked coastal towns in the world (I could easily have done a whole slide-show of just pictures from here.) While I am super proud of my parents for bravely hiking the most difficult section of the trail- Rob and I did all 4 parts that linked the 5 towns and finished along the Via de Amore (Road of Love) just as the sun was setting. The most shocking moment (besides the sudden soaking downpour of rain) was running into our friend, Andrew, from Mannheim going the opposite direction along that little trail in the Italian Riviera!
We then left Italy, driving into southern Switzerland and stayed in Lugano (near the lake district the 2 countries border). Then it was to Konstanz to be near the Bodensee (BIG lake that Germany, Switzerland and Austria border). We had the most amazing meal at our hotel where we cooked our meat on a hot stone brought to our table. Later we walked it off looking for the carnival in town we had seen driving in earlier- and Rob and I went on the biggest, most up-side-down-and-dangle-you ride they had. I held on and screamed for dear life as I felt my bottom leave the seat (yes, you read that right, I was starting to fall out!) when we were suspended upside-down who knows how many feet above the cement below! Rob just let out a roaring laugh and yelled for more. *Sigh*... so my "prince" has less than knightly moments it seems.
Anyhoo... then we came home. Mom finished sewing new pants for Rob's Renaissance outfit (his birthday gift) and then they flew out early Wednesday morning.
I loved being able to travel with my hubby and visit with my parents. I can't wait until our next vacation... already the ideas are forming.

0 comments: